Single Moms Raising Autistic Sons


city map

Followers

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

What a Great Summer!

We have been going to a different library in which there has absolutely no problems whatsoever and Griffin is exactly the same person that he was at the other one but the difference is that the staff here are understanding and accepting of Griffin in fact there is a sign on the door that reads: We welcome all abilities, if you have any questions please inquire within. Now that is a true welcome sign indeed.
If a patron says anything to him about him dancing in his chair or anything else I merely inform him that he is autistic and so far everyone is understanding after that. Griffin's counselor recommended that we only go back to the other library where Elizabeth the bully is, on the days that she doesn't work because no one else has a problem with him. However I am still a bit too emotional about it to speak to anyone there, I have got to distance myself from it more so that I can speak nicely and properly.


So far we have been having a great summer although we have been having a bit of car trouble. First it was the radiator then four thread bared tires and one blow out. So the universe was so kind as for my Aunt Becky to call a garage that a couple own Tammy and Glenn and they donated four brand new tires to me and my heart skipped a beat I was almost in tears. Then we went to S.C. to see my mom who had fallen and broken her hip but it was so darn hot 102 degrees, that the car overheated and we were stuck. I had called the mechanic that put in the radiator and thermostat and he scared me to death saying that it was a blown head gasket so we had to have the car towed to NC after sitting in the heat for two hours. It was over an hour's ride home. But the tow truck driver was such a sweetheart and we had a great conversation. He was young and handsome but unattached because he worked on call twenty-four seven just to support his elderly mom. You sure don't find men like that anymore.


I got brave and started driving the car little by little because I had to and I found that as long as I keep anti-freeze in the car it is perfectly fine so I don't think that the head gasket is blown and I don't think that the radiator or thermostat was bad after all or else something was not fixed at the time. Anyhow I am going to a different garage because the other one was wrong and I can't afford to have things replaced that are not helping the problem while the problem still exists. I am going back to see Tammy and Glenn because they help out single moms and are understanding. I waited until I had some money this time so that I can pay them.


Griffin is doing so well with homeschooling. We are on American history right now and he is really enjoying it. Last night he read the entire Declaration of Independence all by himself. I have found that he loves books but has difficulty focusing when reading on his own so I read to him at bedtime every night and we are about to finish Old Yeller. It is challenging to understand for him heck, for me even, but he is getting the gist of it and learning new vocabulary words and slang. We are also reading a chapter book for his age group and I think it is called ....well I forgot but it is pretty good. It takes place in the 1800s in England and is supposed to be a bit spooky.


Before the car problems we were going to SC to see his sister. She is a beautiful person. I will write more later my time is running out.

8 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Griffin:

I like spooky books as well. There are a lot in our lending library.

I have just read TAKEN ON TRUST by Terry Waite.

Good to see Tammy and Glenn. The universe is kind.

Old Yeller is a good together book.

Lora said...

Hi Adelaide, Thank you for your comments. I haven't written in the blog for so long I thought for sure no one was reading it any longer, much less to leave a comment. Do you live in the USA?

Lora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adelaide Dupont said...

Like 903 of the people who visit your blog, I am in Australia.

Lora said...

That is so wonderful, I have a very dear old friend whom I have known for many years. As a matter of fact we met through our blogs back when Griffin and I were in Alaska (2005). She is in Medical. Where are you?

Lora said...

Medowie....darn spell check.

Lora said...

Medowie....darn spell check.

Lora said...

That is so wonderful, I have a very dear old friend whom I have known for many years. As a matter of fact we met through our blogs back when Griffin and I were in Alaska (2005). She is in Medical. Where are you?