Single Moms Raising Autistic Sons


city map

Followers

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Sandbox Fun

I am happy to report that Griffin is once again using the potty as he once did, he has even told me that he needs to go and walks into the bathroom on his own. I think that being sick just threw him off and he just needed time to get back into the swing of things. Here Griffin is pictured playing in the sandbox with his cousin and boy oh boy did he have a blast. I think that it was the very first time that he has actually played in a sandbox. He thoroughly enjoyed rolling around in it and putting the sand in his hair, I just let him do as he pleased and have fun not worrying about how dirty he got. Griffin did actually interact with his little cousin who is about 2 years old, he seems to really enjoy the company of children who are younger and smaller than himself for some reason. Granted the interaction was brief at best and it mostly involved him taking turns and sharing toys but anyhow it was great to see that he even had the least bit of interest in her at all.

I am also pleased to report that I got my medicine that I so desperately needed for my Bipolar Disorder through the P.P.A.(Partnership of Prescription Assistance). I had not written about it in the blog but I was running out of my medicine which costs $500.00 a month and had actually been taking it every other day instead of every day as I was supposed to because I was running so low on them but I called the PPA and they came through for me!!! Now I can feel like myself again, my medicated self, and be stable emotionally/mentally and not have to worry about flying off the handle or weeping uncontrollably whenever someone happens to mention something that touches a nerve. I am so grateful for the 3-4 month supply that they sent to me, just think how much money those meds are worth!!! It was actually the drug company who sent me the meds........Bristol-Meyer Squibb but it's about time that the drug companies finally give back to the consumers and not just robbing them blind over medications!!! I am not a big fan of the pharmaceutical industry even though I will be stuck taking their meds for the rest of my life but I won't go into it right now. It just makes me angry and there's not a thing that I can do about it either!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god....you live In Anderson? I went to college there, graduated in 1993. I read your blog every day. I have a son who is going to be 7 and has autism. I never comment usually but when I saw your new header I was floored. Wow the momories of that little town. I think the one thing I miss the most is Skins Hot Dogs.....is that still there? If it is and you eat such horrible for you food, you GOTTA have one. I am hoping to get back to visit this summer-it has been almost 15 years since I was there. I hope you are having good luck with the schools. Griffin is a doll. Whne you get a chance, Hartwell Lake is lovely. (or it WAS) and you are only 3 or so hours from Charleston which is so awesome I could leave my lovely little town (Boulder, CO) and move there in a heartbeat.
I wish you all the best!

Amy

Lora said...

Hi Amy! Oh my god, I love Skins hot dogs!!!!So glad that you discovered my blog and commented, letting me know that we are kindred spirits. I would love to communicate with you and we could get to know each other better and all about our children too. We live right on Hartwell lake and hope to go to the beach sometime this spring. If you would like to e-mail me I'm at msterriousgirl@hotmail.com I could use some support in getting used to this place, it's kind of a culture shock to me compared to Alaska, it is pretty weird. Even though I was raised in NC/the south I'm still having a hard time. Please contact me, I'd love to hear your story and all about your son. Take Care!

Anonymous said...

I will! I have two boys-both home from school for a long weekend so I will try to email you soon with our whole story! I know what you mean-the South can be a bit if a culture shock. I do not think I ever got used to it and I was there for 5 years. But at least you are not freezing right now!!

Have a great weekend!

Amy

Anonymous said...

Tina said....Hooray Griffin has a little playmate! That is so awesome Lora! I was thinking of sand and water when I saw Griffin playing in the sand box. Maybe next time you could bring water and make sand castles:) Love you guys,
Tina
Blogger wouldnt let me log in :(

Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

Lora, I am so happy for you that you were able to get your meds. $500 is a lot of money, especially per month!

Gabe also has more potty accidents when he is sick and then he goes back to normal when he is feeling better. Glad to see Griffin did too. Potty training is a lot of work along with a great deal of time just crossing your fingers and hoping!

It looks so sunny and warm there. (I'm jealous..lol) How do you like it? Do you miss Alaska? I bet you have many more places to shop at! That could be good and bad :o) Griffin looked like he was having a blast!

Kristin

Lora said...

Hi Kristin,
I am having a hard time adjusting to being in the south again after being in Alaska where people are more open minded, for 16 yrs. I miss many things about Alaska, like the people, the schools, our friends, etc...Anchorage is a very modern city and there is lots of stores and wonderful restaurants there which they don't have here in Anderson. Mostly what we have is BBQ and fast food restaurants here. I'm not complaining, it's just that it is just that it's a culture shock for me. One thing is for sure is that I am glad to be with my family and it makes it all worthwhile. I am also glad to be out of the darkness and frigid temperatures that kept us so isolated in the winter.

A Bishops Wife said...

This is all very wonderful news, I am so happy things are going well. I had seen ads on TV about the PPA. I need to call them for my mother.

Junior has not been "himself" lately". Two steps forward and three back.