Single Moms Raising Autistic Sons


city map

Followers

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Learning for Life

Griffin loves going to gymnastics so much as you can see here as he laughs and smiles the entire time. It is so funny when he stops in the middle of something and says that he is tired but then he keeps on going doing things his own way most of the time. The exercise is so good for him especially since he does not get much at home. We have no yard here at home because it is just woods so it is important/essential that he has other outlets in which to exert himself. Today we have swimming and of course that is one of his most favorite activities in the whole world. Since being out of school he has shown some great progress in many areas and the one that is so significant is that he has had practically ZERO meltdowns or negative behaviors. All I have to do is to talk to him and be sure that he understands what his boundaries are and he has been such a great listener. If only he had that opportunity while in school he would have behaved so much better..........I believe. If only had good reports of his behaviors perhaps I would have been able to help him out by pointing out what was appropriate vs. what is not. The issue that I have with his schooling is that I never knew what the heck was going on with him for the better part of the day and being in the dark about my child does not please a pro-active mother such as myself.

I have made a decision but I am not going to share what it is until the people who need to be notified find out first. It is necessary that they learn what has gone so wrong and how that has helped me to come to this final decision that I have. I am very excited about all the possibilities and all the creativity that is involved. This venture in which we are about to partake is very significant and the future looks so bright now. I know that deep down inside that I am doing what is in Griffin's best interest and because of that I will feel confident that he is safe and thriving in his life. He will learn all that is important in life and how to be an independent individual who is not afraid of making choices because they might be wrong. I did not teach him that so I do not know where he got it from but for sure I am going to fix it! That is something that could stick with him for the rest of his life and cause him to have low self-esteem. Griffin is my treasure and my teacher and he deserves to have only the best in life.................Period!

Life is beautiful especially when one feels that she has changed what she is able to, accepted what she cannot change, and has the wisdom to know the difference. I am eternally grateful for my precious child and there is nothing more significant than his achievements and growth. Griffin deserves to have the opportunity to reach his full potential in all areas ergo he will have all that is humanly possible, all that is within my reach to share with him.

2 comments:

GClef1970 said...

Glad to hear an update from you and I love the new picture of Griffin. :-)

kristi said...

He looks so happy! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I am sorry about you and your Dad. I hope things work out for the best for you and Griffin!