Single Moms Raising Autistic Sons


city map

Followers

Tuesday, February 08, 2011

American Literature Since the Civil War

Well, I started my class yesterday and it was a pretty easy start but....doesn't mean that it is going to remain so. I have read the syllabus and it is not going to be smooth sailing but on the advice of a few of my friends I am going to take it one day at a time and one week at a time because that is how the work is set up and do my best to not lose any sleep over the work. I know that I am going to enjoy doing the reading, as long as I can keep up, and writing essays will be a challenge but as long as my memory can sustain me then I won't be at a loss for words and will be able to recall all my vocabulary words. Thank goodness for the good ole Thesaurus! I am willing to put in the work necessary to get the highest grade possible instead of just passing because it is important to me to make an A. This is why I get so stressed out because I set the bar so high, maybe I should just focus on passing so that I don't worry so much...? It's like a wise man once told me that once he graduated from college his father asked him what they were going to call him when he did so regardless of his grades and the man answered...doctor!

Griffin was out of school today because somewhere in the county there was icy roads. We went to my therapist and to cruddy McDonald's...I swear I don't know why I agree to let him eat there because it is just plain nasty but he loves it. It is rare that we go so I guess that it isn't such a big deal I guess that I just really wish that he ate a healthier diet. If only he would magically start eating veggies and automatically hate sugar we would be in business but try as I might he ain't eatin' vegetables anytime soon. I swear that I am trying new foods with him if it's the last thing that I do one way or another I am getting new foods into that boy. I've got a Rachel Ray family cookbook that has some good stuff in it that he might try and I have a Weight Watchers cookbook that he was thumbing through looking at the pictures showing some interest in so I might try some of those because if he sees a picture first and is interested then he is more likely to try it once it is on the plate.

We went to Target with our neighbor Nikki who bought him two late birthday presents, a Cookie Monster who talks and a small Elmo. He giggled so hard when the Cookie Monster would talk, it's always fun to hear him laugh so much in fact, it's the most euphonious sound in the world!

6 comments:

GClef1970 said...

You're going to do great! <3

dluvscoke said...

Oh, I love the sound of children's laughter too!

I guess I am kinda like Griffin with my diet. Somebody needs to get ME to eat more vegetables and stay away from sugar.

Welcome! said...

I know what you mean about setting the bar too high; I am the same. I'm trying to teach myself to be easy on myself but its hard. Good luck with the course; sounds really interesting.

jazzygal said...

Oh well done on your course! How brave of you, you will do brilliantly! Don't beat yourself up about Mc Donalds, we too lived there for years!!


Did you see my post on Homemade Chicken Nuggets? Would Griffin eat those? I'm planning a couple of cooking posts based on the premise of involving the "fussy eater" in the making of foods to see if that encourages new foods!

xx Jazzy

Debbie Vermilyea said...

Your class sounds interesting. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Griffin is having fun with no school...McDonalds and new toys!!

Heather said...

Oh, you are so brave. I have often thought about taking online courses but the fear of failing is so overwhelming. Hopefully one day I can do the same. I think you are so great! :D