Single Moms Raising Autistic Sons


city map

Followers

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Our Trip To The Pet Store

Yesterday Griffin wanted to go to the local pet store so that he could see the kitties and have the chance to pet them so of course we went and he did get to pet some sweet kitties and he loved every moment. He still wants one for his very own but it is still a "no go" at home so we just took our time so that he could get his fill at least for a day. We went around the store looking at all the different animals and I encouraged Griffin to hold a Guinea Pig but he was not impressed so we moved on to the Oh so cute dwarf hamsters and right away he started laughing and showed a lot of interest in holding them. I figured that since he is not allowed to have a kitty then the least I could do was to get something that he would enjoy and be able to play with. About $60.00 later we left with his new companion and all the stuff to house the little girl with things to chew on, and to play with so as to not get bored.

Griffin immediately had a name for her "Chucky Sue" which he borrowed from Sesame Street, Telly monster has a hamster with that name. I do not have a photo of them together but I will sometime today and so I will post it later. So far Griffin has handled her with a soft and careful touch and he seems to understand how important it is that he is very gentle. Chucky Sue has obviously been handled a lot because she is so mellow when being handled and she doesn't get stressed out, she seems to be content and comfortable in her new home.

Griffin woke me up at about 3:00 a.m. which is becoming a nightly ritual for the two of us. It seems that one of us wakes in the wee hours of the morning and we cannot get back to sleep. I am trying some new medicine for the Fibromyalgia which has not helped me so far, guess that I just need to give it some time to start working. The Cortisone injections in my back has helped the pain in that area but also made me feel manic and has contributed to the insomnia/mania that I now have and it will not wear off for at least a few months. I had forgotten that I am super sensitive to steroids so I will just have to wait until it begins to wear off and hope for the best in the interim.

After the pet store we went to the local library to check out some books on how to care for a hamster and as luck would have it I discovered two books that are Spanish/English dictionaries. These are ever so helpful especially since Griffin has been studying Spanish for a couple of months now and he always wants to know how to say words in Spanish. About a month ago I purchased the Rosetta Stone program for learning Spanish and so far he loves it and has learned a lot from it. Griffin seems to be quite content and comfortable with his new found interest in learning a new language so I am doing my best to facilitate and encourage him at the same time I am letting him go at his own pace so the time spent working with it can vary from 10 - 30 minutes a day. Fortunately I took 2 years of Spanish in high school and still recall how to pronounce the words which really comes in handy.

Check back again soon so that you can see the pictures that I am going to post of Griffin and Chucky Sue, it will be worth the visit. I hope that you, my friends, are doing very well and that you are having a great weekend.

1 comment:

GClef1970 said...

I love the fact that he called his hamster Chucky Sue, especially since I remember how Chucky became Chucky Sue! LOL Here's hoping you don't have the same surprise that Telly had. :-)