Single Moms Raising Autistic Sons


city map

Followers

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Making Alphabet Cookies

I didn't take a picture but now I wish that I had because it was such hard work making those alphabet cookies. The dough got warm by the time I got all the letters onto the cookie sheet and they began to melt, as it were, and it was impossible to get them out in one piece. Anyhow, we got to the letter M and I told Griffin that was it...he was having fun rolling out the dough and pressing out the letters but mommy was doing the hard part and the time consuming part but it was well worth it and I am glad that we did it. I had to go to the craft store to get the cookie cutters which I felt was a bargain because there was 101 cutters of different shapes plus the alphabet and  all the numbers for only $14.99. He can use them with his play doh and make more cookies after the dough gets cold and mommy has built up some more patience.

Griffin has been constipated because he holds it in when he has to go and he won't go at school so he goes days before having a BM. This time it was 5 days before he finally went (yesterday) and the only reason that he did finally go is because I kept giving him Mirilax. In fact he went 4 times today because of the Mirilax but better that then being all stopped up. I just don't know how to get him to stop holding it in when he needs to go. The Mirilax helps him have the urge to go but if he holds it in then he creates the problem. If anyone has any ideas I am open to them. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

jazzygal said...

Oh cookie making is such a wonderful OT activity!

I don't mean to scare you but do take this constipation issue very seriously. My WiiBoy in hospital last Christmas in A & E because of it. he was so blocked up his bowels were distended. Next step I believe was a tear in the bowel.

Enter "Not that pooh bear" on my blog page to find the post about it.

WiiBoy is on Movicol ever since. There is a Bowel protocol (or Poo Protocol as I call it!!) He has to sit and "try" 4 times a day. Once before school, when he comes home, after dinner and beforre bed. And LOTS of fluids ...especially water.

Maybe you should go to the doctor? I bring Wiiboy on and off... they can feel tummy and know if poos are there. Ask about Movicol and get leafllet on "How to train Bowels" It takes a very long time and Autism does NOT help.

I can easily explain it to WiiBoy but even he holds it in... he's NEVER gone in school!!

Good luck Lora.. let us know how you get on!

xx Jazzy