Single Moms Raising Autistic Sons


city map

Followers

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Just a Quick Note

I have a million other things that I need to be doing so I don't have much time to write but I did want to write a little bit for now and catch up later hopefully because I have school. The latest is that Griffin hasn't been back to gymnastics because he hurt his knee at school last week but the doctor said that it was just bruised and okay. I had the IEP (Individual Education Program) and it went well even though I didn't have an advocate there because she couldn't make it. I asked lots of questions and made sure to schedule an observation of Griffin in the classroom. I truly feel that his teachers this year have his best interest at heart and it has shown in Griffin's performance and interest in school. He is concerned about getting his homework completed and looks forward to getting on the bus in the morning and speaks nicely about his teachers when asked. So I don't think that they were trying to pull the wool over my eyes in the IEP and were very sincere. One of his teachers commented that she has really seen Griffin's personality this year and how she loved it because last year was so bad for him and it was because his teacher was miserably horrid! There were several things that I learned about Griffin that I didn't know but I can't write about it right now as Griffin just informed me that he is sleepy so I have to go. Oh and I am now taking Chloral Hydrate for sleep which if a regular person took, one without severe insomnia, well it's what they used to refer to when they said that they slipped someone a mickey.

2 comments:

dluvscoke said...

Oh, I hope Griffin's knee will heal so he can continue with gymnastics!

Mom of 12 said...

I was looking at your post about sometimes people don't even know he is autistic. We finally got to the point when my son was about 14 that I didn't have to tell every group we were around that he was autistic. In fact, a stranger could be around my son for quite a while without knowing now. He is 17 and an amazing person. I'm not saying our journey was easy, but it was definitely worth it. I have a blog that I am working on that talks about all 12 of my children, but there are many days when Autism is the focus. Stop by and leave me a comment so I know you were there.
Sandy
www.twelvemakesadozen.blogspot.com