Single Moms Raising Autistic Sons


city map

Followers

Friday, February 15, 2008

I Almost Lost My Child Today

I have never been so scared as I was today during Griffin's swimming session, I actually saw my child struggling for his life after he wandered from his OT and ended up in the deep water. I was terrified as I watched his head go under the water as he desperately tried to keep it up. His OT was searching for some toys to play with at the edge of the pool and had instructed Griffin to stay by her side but instead he walked to the deep water without her noticing and I didn't see him until it was nearly too late for him. I stood up and went to the edge of the pool while the OT was trying to visually locate him but she couldn't see him because his head was underwater. I got her attention and pointed to where he was and she immediately went to rescue him. What really pisses me off is that the lifeguard did nothing even though he was right there in front of her. I later complained to the CEO of the YMCA and he said that he would look into the matter.

After we had gotten home I received a call from the supervisor of aquatics and she told me that the lifeguard had done nothing wrong and that she was watching Griffin as he was submerged and struggling for his life of course she didn't admit that the lifeguard could have gone into the pool after him as soon as she saw him go underwater. I almost dove into the water myself as it seemed to me that nobody was doing anything to help him. The supervisor had said that the lifeguard knew that the OT had been helping Griffin work on going underwater so she didn't panic.............What the hell? I responded by reminding them that Griffin was working on that WITH his OT present and not by himself..............Boy did that ever piss me off!!!!!!!!!!! I reminded them that he is only 6 years old and not able to swim on his own and that was the very reason for him to have an OT in the first frickin place!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the reasons that it is so scary for me is that Griffin has no fear of anything and that is the very reason that he wandered off into the deep water and still after the incident he was laughing and smiling through the whole thing. I do not believe that he learned anything from it at all. I most certainly did, that is for sure!!!!!! I will be watching him like a hawk from now on. I know that his OT was scared as well and that it will not happen again. I just wish that the lifeguard and her supervisor had been more responsible and admitted that there could have been something done to help him, I no longer trust them to dive in and help him so I guess that I will have only myself to do something about helping him.

It reminds me of how well I have to watch him around cars because he simply has no fear of traffic and all the dangers of being around cars in parking lots and otherwise. This is why I have a handicapped placard in our car so that I can park close to the stores with less chances of spending much time around the vehicles and less chance of him running off and getting away from me. If your child is a runner then I highly recommend that you get a placard because it does help to manage how much your child exposed to vehicles and it simply just makes more sense.

I went to Griffin's Valentine's party at school and I enjoyed walking around and taking pictures of the children as they sat and ate their goodies and talked to me. Griffin was so happy to see me and he kept acknowledging me and giving me hugs and kisses. I have some pictures that I took that I want to put on the blog but it is getting very late and I must go to bed. There are some great pictures of Griffin that I would love for you to see but it is just going to have to wait until later. Come back soon to visit so that you can see the awesome pictures that I will have posted.

2 comments:

mom23 said...

Thank God, Lora that you were there with him! That is enough to give you nightmares for the rest of your life. I have a four year old who has autism and I know exactly what you are talking about when you say Griffin has no fear of danger.I believe my son, Caleb would keep right on walking until the water was over his head. I know that when I walk with him, I can't let go of his hand for a minute because he is basically a block up the road before I can catch him! Another thing is that he has no fear of strangers and I know that he would go with anyone.

Maddy said...

Good grief! Is it any wonder we have grey hair [oh no, sorry, that's just me of course]
Best wishes