Single Moms Raising Autistic Sons


city map

Followers

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Hugs


This is small things Saturday blog hop and I would like to write about something that seems small but is actually a big deal, hugs. Griffin started about 3 months ago hitting at me sometimes for no apparent reason but almost always when he got angry with me. I spoke to his OT who said to do hand presses and that he would learn to do that instead but then he would just press my hands (straight out in front of my body) so hard that it nearly knocked me over, he is a strong 8 year old! But just in the past couple of weeks he has been hugging me instead of hitting me and the hitting seized completely, imagine how thrilled I have been! Now we hug literally ALL the time and it helps keep us from getting so angry with one another especially since mommy is such a grouch/disciplinarian.

11 comments:

Chris P-M said...

Oh believe me, this mommy is a grouch too! How wonderful that your son is liking his hugs now. I know mom loves them too!

Looking for Blue Sky said...

I can really relate to this as when my aspie boy was unhappy at his old school he would get very angry and violent (but at things, not me, TG). I hadn't linked it, but now he is more content, he is also hugging me all the time. It's soo much better, really glad for you Lora x

Dani G said...

I'm pretty grouchy, too. Little Bird hits sometimes, too. Not fun. But those hugs are priceless!!

Ashley said...

I will never take those hugs for granted. Sometimes it might be the only thing keeping me from completely losing it. I'm so happy for you that you're getting some hug time! =)

Jean said...

It makes those hugs all the more precious XXX

Jessica said...

Oh, love this. First time visiting, thanks for joining the blog hop. I was a single mom to my daughter with ASD for 8 years and it is nice to read your story.

jazzygal said...

That's lovely Lora.. nothing like a good hug. They're very poular in the jazzy house too:-)

xx Jazzy

Wantapeanut said...

Hugs are definitely no small thing! Enjoy every one.

Eliz Frank said...

Hi Lora,
Sending you and Griffin holiday cheers and hugs...
Stopping by/commenting back from your visit to my blog - Positive Kismet...Thank you!
I'm now a follower of your blog.
Have a Happy Holiday Season!
Best,
Elizabeth

Ginny Marie said...

Hugs are the best! And how great that they make the angry feelings go away. We should have more hugging going on in my house!

Heather said...

I love that you hug all the time!