Single Moms Raising Autistic Sons


city map

Followers

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Talk Ability


I found this book, "Talk Ability" online years ago and have been reading it again as of late because I need help with knowing how to talk to Griffin. I know that sounds weird but sometimes I just don't know how to keep the conversation going. Do any of you ever have that problem or is it just me? Maybe it is the medications that I take that effect me but oftentimes I just don't have the words to talk to him because Griffin will talk about things that are off-the-wall. So here are a few excerpts out of the book, not too detailed because I don't have much time to type it all out right now but if you have any questions feel free to ask and I would be happy to help out.

Some of the basics are using your "I" cues: Include your child's interests, ideas, and words. Interpret his message. Introduce your own ideas. and Insist on a change of topic...Help you take your turn

The Cues: Comment...and wait. Ask a question...and wait. Make it easier to answer your question...and wait. Hint...and wait. Make a suggestion...and wait. Tell your child what to say or do...and wait...Tell your child that it's his turn

Open questions: What happened? Wh questions + "thought" words. How? Why?
Closed Wh questions: What? Who? Where? When?

There are also the different stages of which your child falls under that it helps you to figure out so that you can more easily help your child carry on with conversation. Stage 1 = "want" words. Stage 2="think" words. Stage 3="see" words Stage 4="hidden feeling" words Stage 5= "false belief" words.

If you would like to buy the book just click on the highlighted area in the box to go to Amazon.com to either buy it new or used.

Also there is an online course for communication with your child with autism that is FREE! I have just signed up for it so I don't know how good it is but since it is free then why not try it out? Here's the link: http://www.thinkautism.info/

No comments: