Single Moms Raising Autistic Sons


city map

Followers

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Griffin is learning to spell out words correctly as well as sound out new words and not just sight words either. This is what Griffin did when he needed help with opening a bag that contained a toy. He tried and tried to open it and when he could not he arranged these letters on the fridge and then came to me to show me and told me at the same time. I was so impressed that he actually spelled out "want" because before, when he would type it out on the computer, he would spell it out phonetically. His spelling and sentence structure is now not just purposeful but also correct and appropriate. Griffin is communicating at a higher level than his NT peers and now I need to make sure that he is challenged and does not get bored.

If anyone has ideas of how to keep Griffin challenged and avoid boredom I would really appreciate any suggestions that you may have. He has, as of late, seemed to be losing interest in using the keyboard/computer. Mostly all he wants to do with it is type out numbers and even though I encourage him to type out words he doesn't do it on his own any longer. Maybe because to him it doesn't serve a purpose unless he is getting some reward for it. I usually tell him to type out his requests on the computer if he wants something even though he can say it just fine but now it has become so easy for him it is just no big deal anymore. He has several computer games that are educational like Sesame Street, Clifford, and Blue's Clues but he lost interest in those months ago. So, that's no longer an option and the games that are at a higher level he doesn't like because they are Arthur, Reader Rabbit, and other characters that he has no interest in. There is my quandary and once again, I would greatly appreciate any ideas that you may have on how to keep him challenged and to peak his interest.

5 comments:

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

I know Sarah and Alyssa (the 5 year old I bbsit) just love Sarah's Leapster. Maybe he'd like that? They have many different levels of games so it could keep him challenged on different levels?

GL... he's a VERY bright boy that's for sure!!!

kristina said...

I have seen this happen with Charlie. He tends to lose interest in toys except for engaging in some repetitive play, like typing numbers or addition sums ("2+2=4")--and especially in mechanical toys or the computer. Such toys are relatively "easy" for autistic kids to become fascinatd with, due to their predictability.

Perhaps other games besides computer ones would be good--building with legos, learning interactive games such as catch with a ball (unless he has already mastered these).

Does he read out what he writes on the refrigerator? Or try to write out what he spells on the refrigerator?

Anonymous said...

It is going to be a challenge to keep this kid challenged. I am not sure I would be up for the challenge. Maybe you've got another Temple Grandin on your hands.

I just heard her talk on Public Radio. I'm going to send you the link private email because she talked about high functioning Autistics and the things they must learn so they can get a job, etc. She talked about her early childhood making it possible for her to do that today.

I am so proud of Griffin.

JodiTucker said...

Here is a suggestion from a music teacher. It may or may not help challenge Griffin(??).......the Suzuki violin method.....it starts with hearing and imitating more than notated music, then eventually progresses to regular staff notation. Possibly the same thing for piano might be available.
Look up Suzuki instruction on the internet for teachers in your area if interested. Please remember I am not a mum of an ASD child, so there is little expertise here in the 24 hours a day, 7 days a week department.

Jenn said...

Griffin is SOOOOO bright!! Absolutely incredible!
I'm not sure what you could do to keep him challenged, although today I had the boys over at my parents, and my dad got out a little tile sorting game for Duncan. It's for ages 7-12, but he caught on right away (he's 4) and spent the next 2 HOURS completely absorbed in these tiles. They are different shapes, colours, sizes and thicknesses - there are many different ways to sort them, and play with them, and make patterns with them. They practiced finding tiles that had 1 common demonator (like same colour, or same size) and then he had to find tiles with 2 commonalities, then 3, then 4. He just loved it.